My partner and I won! Weeeeeeeeee! Simply exhilarating! I'm still in awe. That was our first time. And I thought we would go home empty handed again today. But we defeated the other team during the second match!
Last week's opening was a good exposure. I was able to experience what it is like in a real game. Although I was absolutely in high spirits, we were beaten. Today, we played two matches. The first match got me disappointed. I knew we could have done better, we were just pressured by the audience. There were a lot of fans who cheered the other team and it was such a distraction while playing. I guess, coming from a newbie like me, that was one factor that could help make or break my game. I felt terrible after losing. I wanted to talk to my partner and tell him: "hey kuya I'm not gonna allow this tournament to end without us winning even one match, so please galingan na natin." I was bugged by the fact that, most of the "service" from our opponents were bad and they weren't also supportive of each other... still they won with just two points higher.
By the end of the first match, I lazily sat down at the bench and hoped that, that was our only game today. I heard someone asked our challenger if they won and who they defeated. When one of the players answered that it was our team whom they trounced, the person said: "aww kaya pala, sila Dac lang naman eh." I really felt bad. I thought, my partner and I were sure-fire clear as crystal losers in the eyes of the other players. I felt that all this time they were belittling our capacity. I couldn't quite disagree with them on a certain level since this is the first Badminton Tournament that my partner and I joined. However I don't want to be thought of that way. I guess nobody wants to. So just imagine after losing the first match, and hearing those comments, my self-esteem was crushed and I was on the verge of going home. I didn't want another round.
But there were two games that we needed to play today or else my partner and I were already behind the schedule. We were left with no option but to play. Before the second match started I said to myself: "dac just play nalang, wag ka na magisip ng kung anu-ano pa while playing basta return the shuttleock before it touches the ground yon na yon kasi nothing to lose na naman eh." Surprisingly, right from the first service until the end of the game, my partner and I performed pretty well. I didn't think of any tactics, I tried not to be conscious of the other people present, I focused my mind on the ball, I cooperated with my partner and I just enjoyed the game. And so we won by 8 points! Woooohhoooo!
It felt nice to win. The feeling is indescribable. I know there are still a lot of matches that my partner and I need to conquer. That second game a while ago surely is a confidence booster and I'm hopeful for another victory next Saturday. I just realized that sometimes it doesn't hurt to hear harsh words because it brings out the fighter side in you (hihi). It posts as a challenge to your capacity and a gateway to exceed your limit. Once defeated, just try to play again and play with all your heart and mind.
BaDmInToN tRiViA for Badminton junkies out there:
Last week's opening was a good exposure. I was able to experience what it is like in a real game. Although I was absolutely in high spirits, we were beaten. Today, we played two matches. The first match got me disappointed. I knew we could have done better, we were just pressured by the audience. There were a lot of fans who cheered the other team and it was such a distraction while playing. I guess, coming from a newbie like me, that was one factor that could help make or break my game. I felt terrible after losing. I wanted to talk to my partner and tell him: "hey kuya I'm not gonna allow this tournament to end without us winning even one match, so please galingan na natin." I was bugged by the fact that, most of the "service" from our opponents were bad and they weren't also supportive of each other... still they won with just two points higher.
By the end of the first match, I lazily sat down at the bench and hoped that, that was our only game today. I heard someone asked our challenger if they won and who they defeated. When one of the players answered that it was our team whom they trounced, the person said: "aww kaya pala, sila Dac lang naman eh." I really felt bad. I thought, my partner and I were sure-fire clear as crystal losers in the eyes of the other players. I felt that all this time they were belittling our capacity. I couldn't quite disagree with them on a certain level since this is the first Badminton Tournament that my partner and I joined. However I don't want to be thought of that way. I guess nobody wants to. So just imagine after losing the first match, and hearing those comments, my self-esteem was crushed and I was on the verge of going home. I didn't want another round.
But there were two games that we needed to play today or else my partner and I were already behind the schedule. We were left with no option but to play. Before the second match started I said to myself: "dac just play nalang, wag ka na magisip ng kung anu-ano pa while playing basta return the shuttleock before it touches the ground yon na yon kasi nothing to lose na naman eh." Surprisingly, right from the first service until the end of the game, my partner and I performed pretty well. I didn't think of any tactics, I tried not to be conscious of the other people present, I focused my mind on the ball, I cooperated with my partner and I just enjoyed the game. And so we won by 8 points! Woooohhoooo!
It felt nice to win. The feeling is indescribable. I know there are still a lot of matches that my partner and I need to conquer. That second game a while ago surely is a confidence booster and I'm hopeful for another victory next Saturday. I just realized that sometimes it doesn't hurt to hear harsh words because it brings out the fighter side in you (hihi). It posts as a challenge to your capacity and a gateway to exceed your limit. Once defeated, just try to play again and play with all your heart and mind.
BaDmInToN tRiViA for Badminton junkies out there:
- Badminton started in India and its original name is Poona.
- Generally accepted that the best feather birdies are made from the left wing of a goose. Shuttlecocks made from the left wing are usually more stable in flight ! (http://www.badzone.co.uk/shuttle.html)
- A badminton 'birdie' can travel at speeds of up to 200 MPH.
- Badminton was admitted as a full medal sport at the games of the XXVth Olympiad in Barcelona 1992.
- Olympic badminton rules say that the bird has to have exactly fourteen feathers
0 comments:
Post a Comment